Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ask Linda #41-Divot nightmare

Dear Linda,
I have this nightmare where I hit my drive to a perfect spot in the middle of the fairway. Some bozo from an adjacent hole hits a shot that lands next to my ball. I mark my ball so that he can hit first. He takes a big divot when he hits his ball. When I try to replace my ball, it is now lying in a big divot hole. It seems unfair that I have to hit it out of a divot hole.
Lou Lou

Dear Lou Lou,
It is unfair, and you do not have to hit your ball out of the divot hole. You are always entitled to the lie you had when your ball came to rest. Here are your choices:

1. You may hit the ball out of the divot hole (probably not the choice you want to make).
2. You may replace the divot and generally try to restore your original lie, replace your ball, and hit it (probably not a good choice either – you might feel a bit uncomfortable hitting a ball that is perched on a replaced divot).
3. If you cannot restore the original lie, you may place the ball on the nearest spot within one club-length of the original spot that is most similar to your original lie. That spot cannot be closer to the hole or in a hazard. (I saved the best choice for last!) My reference is Decision 13-2/8.7.

Linda

Copyright © 2008 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.