Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ask Linda #40-Ball stopped by rake

Dear Linda,
I hit my ball just over a sand bunker where it was stopped by a rake. My ball was not in the bunker, but since it was leaning against the rake, when I lifted the rake the ball rolled into the bunker. Do I have to play the ball out of the bunker? Do I have to count a penalty stroke because the ball moved when I lifted the rake?
Lulu

Dear Lulu,
A rake on the golf course is called a movable obstruction in golf-speak. You do not incur a penalty when your ball moves because you removed the obstruction. Neither do you have to play the ball out of the bunker. This is one of those rare occurrences on a golf course where the rules give you a break.

Here is what you need to do. Since you are certain the ball will move when you remove the rake, mark the spot where the ball lies. After you lift the rake and the ball rolls into the bunker, retrieve your ball and replace it. If it rolls after you replace it, try a second time. If it still won’t stay put, you must now place it at the nearest spot that is not closer to the hole or in the bunker where it will remain at rest (Rules 24-1 and 20-3d).

Linda

Copyright © 2008 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.