Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Ask Linda 1869-Use of earmuffs to deaden sound

Linda, 
I read this rule and see that music or other audio to eliminate distractions is not permitted. Is wearing something like earmuffs that produce no audio but do reduce or prevent audible distractions also prohibited?
Lou from Wheeling, West Virginia

Dear Lou,

Do they actually make sound-deadening earmuffs? I can hear right through mine, although I will concede that the sound is slightly reduced.

If you have found sound-deadening earmuffs, and are wearing them solely to block out distracting noises, I believe their use would not be permitted [Rule 20.3]. If you are wearing the earmuffs to keep your ears warm (something I do throughout the winter), go right ahead. We want to keep those ears toasty!

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.