Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ask Linda #430-Not posting high scores

Hello - our club always plays some sort of 'Contest' and there are times when I do not want to 'put my card into the office' after playing.
Usually when I have had a ghastly round!! So it is not a case of where I want to 'cheat / be a burglar' and only put in high scores. Quite the opposite, actually.  

What requirements are there re: 'having to put your card in' at the end of the game?  
I cannot see anything that says you 'have to' in the rules!

I'm a bit of a free spirit and there are times when I will put in a card and sometimes I don't want to which is causing friction.

Kind regards
Lulu from New Zealand

Dear Lulu,

Rules about posting scores differ around the world. I can only answer for players under the jurisdiction of the USGA.

Here in the U.S. you are obligated to post all acceptable scores. “Acceptable” does not mean “good.” It refers to all rounds of stroke and match play that are played under the Rules of Golf.

Rules about posting cannot be found in the Rules of Golf. Here in the U.S., the USGA publishes a Handicap System manual that explains all the rules about handicapping and posting scores. I assume there is a similar manual in New Zealand that explains your obligations.

A player who is disinclined to post his high scores is known to possess a “vanity handicap.” This can be just as detrimental to his golfing companions as a handicap that is artificially inflated by failing to post low scores. In neither case does the player’s handicap accurately reflect his level of skill. And neither handicap is an honest one. In a game that relies on the integrity of the individual player, posting all acceptable scores is an absolute requirement.

I can understand why your failure to post all your scores is causing friction. Knowledgeable players are uncomfortable competing with or against golfers whose handicap is inaccurate.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.