Monday, January 14, 2008

Ask Linda #3 - relief from interior fence

Dear Linda,

While playing the other day on Blue #3 I hit a ball toward the green from about 150 yards out. I pulled my shot left, it took a bad bounce and rolled across the cart path and came to rest on grass under the split rail fence. No shot. If the fence was not there, in my view I would have had a shot at least to punch it out. I took it back on the correct side of the cart path, 2 club lengths, and dropped it in the rough and hit from there. I didn't charge myself a penalty because of the fence. Right or wrong?

Thanks,
Lulu


Dear Lulu,

I checked out the fence in question during today's round. This is the fence near the green just before the cart path curves to the left. The purpose of this fence is to prevent carts with distracted drivers from plunging over the side and into the creek. As such, you were correct in assuming you get free relief. This fence is called an "immovable obstruction." You should lift the ball and drop it without penalty within one club-length and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. Since your nearest point of relief would put you on the cart path, you would also be entitled to free relief from the cart path, which means you would again find the nearest point of relief from the cart path and drop the ball within one club-length of that point. This whole relief process should put some green grass under your feet and give you a fighting chance to pitch the ball onto the green. Sometimes golf is kind.

Linda

Copyright © 2008 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.