Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Ask Linda 1942-Partner concedes putt to opponent in four-ball match

Linda,
Please let me know about this situation. We were playing the 18th hole in a competition with two concurrent matches – team and individual. My individual match was closed out but the team match was even. My individual-match opponent putted to two feet. I said I needed to see [him putt]. I had a 10-footer for bogey. I made my putt and my partner mistakenly thought I made par. My partner conceded the putt. I said that the putt is not conceded before the ball was picked up. My opponent said we could not take back the given putt. I think he should have putted. Can you tell me if he should have putted?
Thank you.
Lou from Bensalem, Pennsylvania

Dear Lou,

I certainly can.

Rule 3.2b(2) states unequivocally: “A concession is final and cannot be declined or withdrawn.”

Both you and your partner had the authority to concede your opponent’s putt in the better ball match. As soon as your partner conceded the putt to your opponent, the hole was completed for your opponent with a score that includes the conceded stroke. You are not entitled to withdraw the concession that your partner made.

I would advise, in team matches, that partners consult one another before conceding any putts. 

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.