Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ask Linda #524a-Response to #524


Hi Linda,
This is a good question and I have run into it and gave the player relief but I later found out that the Asian beetles should have been treated as loose impediments. I heard this happened at the US Women's Open this year.
Lou

Dear Lou,

Hmmm… I’m guessing you’re right, since beetles would probably meet the criteria of “insects and the like” under the Definition of Loose Impediments.

Now I’m wondering whether the USGA and R&A would consider a Local Rule for relief from these pests, since they have a defense mechanism that exudes a yellow fluid (called reflex blood) that has an unpleasant acrid smell, and will bite humans if hungry [http://www.harlequin-survey.org]. In the absence of such a Local Rule, I might be inclined to take an unplayable.

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.