Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ask Linda #448-Ground club outside hazard


Good morning Linda,

My understanding of the rules is that if any part of my ball is touching a hazard line, my ball is in the hazard.
If the front half of the ball is touching the line, and the back of the ball is not touching the line, can I ground my club "outside" the hazard when addressing the ball without penalty?

Thank you for all you do for us. I stop by your website every morning to see if there are any updates.
Lou

Dear Lou,

Your understanding is correct. A ball that touches a hazard line is in the hazard. If the back of the ball is outside the hazard, you may ground your club behind the ball, since you are not grounding your club in the hazard [Decision 13-4/29].

Linda
Copyright © 2012 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.