Friday, September 2, 2011

Ask Linda #344-Placing rake in bunker

Linda, my friends were telling me that while watching a recent tournament they said a pro was penalized for carrying a rake and putting it in the bunker. I said if he was penalized he took some action that constituted testing the sand. I have never heard of a penalty for carrying and then dropping or placing a rake in the bunker.
The thought of walking through a bunker, hitting my ball, walking back through the bunker for a rake, and then walking through the bunker again to get to my ball as I then rake my way out of the bunker is senseless.
Was there a new decision made on this type of incident?
Thank you for your assistance.
Lou Lou

Dear Lou Lou,

The rule has not been modified. Players are permitted to carry a rake into a bunker and place it in the sand. They may also place clubs or even their entire golf bag in the sand. Such placement does not constitute testing the condition of the hazard [Decision 13-4/0.5].

The pro would not have been penalized simply for placing a rake in the bunker. Clearly, as you suggest, something else was afoot.

Linda 
Copyright © 2011 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.