Monday, April 27, 2009

Ask Linda #109-carry rake into bunker

Hi Linda,
Could you please give me the rules regarding: Rake in the Bunker. I've heard all kinds of rules. When having to hit a ball out of the bunker, for time consideration, I pick up the rake, usually not near my ball, & bring it with me to rake as soon as I'm done hitting the ball out. Is that a rule breaker? I'm not testing the sand, just picking up the rake & taking it with me.
Thanks for your help.
Lulu

Dear Lulu,

You are permitted (perhaps a better word might be "encouraged") to bring the rake with you into the bunker and lay it down in the sand. You may not stand it upright by plunging the handle end into the sand, as that would constitute testing the condition of the bunker. If you walk through the sand with the rake, do not drag the tines through the sand or rake any of those footprints until after you hit the ball, as that would also constitute testing the condition of the bunker.

Decision 13-4/0.5 specifically gives you permission to place a rake or your clubs in the hazard. I have, on occasion, placed my entire golf bag in the hazard!

I have a blog entry explaining actions that are permitted and prohibited in a bunker. If you would like a refresher course on how to behave at the beach, visit my blog, click on the arrow to the left of 2008, click on the arrow to the left of May, and then click on Ask Linda #59-Bunker rules.

Linda

Copyright © 2009 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.