Thursday, July 25, 2019

Ask Linda 1962-When is dropped ball in play?

Linda,
Yesterday in a Doubles Match I drove my ball right of the fairway towards tall fescue rough in a penalty area. We searched but did not find it in the tall grass.

I declared it lost and dropped a ball in accordance with Model Local Rule E-5, but as I got ready to play it one of my competitors saw the first ball in the first cut off the fairway.

I then played the first ball to the green and parred the hole, which was the best ball, winning the hole for our side.

At the next T box I realized that the act of dropping another ball likely put it in play. I then disqualified myself from winning the previous hole.

Question is… In that situation am I obligated to play the found ball or was I right in believing that dropping another ball put that one in play?

We eventually won the match after 20 holes of play!

Lou from Hackettstown, New Jersey

Dear Lou,

The ball that you dropped was in play as soon as you dropped it [Rule 14.4]. At that point your original ball was no longer in play under the Rules, despite being found subsequently. Your decision to disqualify yourself from the hole was the right one.

Please also note that it is not possible to declare a ball lost [Official Guide, Interpretation Lost/1].

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.