Friday, June 28, 2019

Ask Linda 1945-Discover 15 clubs in bag

Hi Linda,
Hope you're doing well. 
Let's suppose I start my round (stroke play) from Hole #1. After completing the 6th, I find out that there are 15 clubs in my bag.
Do I penalise myself two strokes on holes 6 and 5 or on holes 1 and 2?
Had a situation once: After round completed on hole 18, a player had 15 clubs. The argument was: 2-stroke penalty (total 4 strokes) on 18 and 17 and another said: Penalty applies on 1st and 2nd hole.

Kindly clarify on what holes the penalty applies.
Thanks,
Lou from Bahrain

Dear Lou,

The penalty is applied to the first two holes where the breach happened [Rule 4.1b, Penalty in Stroke Play]. In the situation you describe, where you began the round with 15 clubs and did not discover your mistake until the sixth hole, you would be penalized two strokes each on holes #1 and #2 (total of four penalty strokes).

Linda
Copyright © 2019 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.